Posted by John on March 08, 2011 at 08:49:10:
In Reply to: Re: local HD radio posted by wahoo on February 25, 2011 at 13:53:45:
My Sony XDR-F1HD arrived, and wow, it is night-and-day better than the Auvio from Radio Shack. Still can't get 94.1-HD2, but all of the weaker FM signals (like WSUM, WSJY and the WPR translators at 90.9 and 107.9) are back. 105.5-HD2 is a little more reliable, and I can get WTMJ-AM and most of the Chicago AMs again (WSCR, WGN, WBBM and WIND). It's a great radio.
Anyone know if Midwest Family ever plans to launch some HD2 channels on 98.1 or 106.3? It'd be nice to have some more formats out there.
Here are the formats I'd love to see on HD2 (or, for that matter, on WBKY if they ever get their CP to move to Stoughton built out -- time's wasting, they only have 'til June!)
* Hot AC. It'd be my first choice for 95.9 ... considering they're owned by the cheapos at Magnum, I could see them plugging in the same satellite Hot AC format they run on WNNO in the Dells. Otherwise, could be a nice HD2 for WMGN.
* all 80s. Could see an "80s channel" working as an HD2 on WOLX or WCHY.
* all 90s/"rewind" format ... could also work as an HD2 channel on WCHY.
* smooth jazz. Not my cup of tea, but there's an audience for it out there. Would be another good option for HD2 on WMGN.
* oldies. WOLX isn't really oldies anymore ... more like classic hits, maybe? an oldies HD2 would work nicely on WOLX.
* gospel or urban AC. Could work on 93.1, but not sure that there's enough of an audience here, and it would help if there was better adoption of HD radio.
* secondary sports. It'd be nice if WTLX had one or two secondary HD channels ... maybe one for ESPN Desportes and another for overflow events or secondary programming. I'd love to have the Cubs play-by-play on the radio here in Madison, and WTLX-HD3 sounds like a nice possibility.
* spanish. Again, I don't think there's enough of an audience for it, especially with HD receivers, but maybe down the road if adoption of HD radio ever picks up.
Post a Followup